…or mound of crepes filled with spinach and mushrooms, baked with cheese sauce. Plus I added a little touch of my own – ham and turkey.
It´s my birthday on Tuesday and one of the gifts was Julia Child´s The French Chef Cookbook. The first recipe that really caught my eye was this salty pancake cake, when you put it in plain simple English 😉 They can call it however fancy they want 🙂
The reason why I added ham and turkey was that the recipe wasn´t put together very well, and yes, I blame the book. It means that I mixed all the ingredients together instead of making two different sauces. But I corrected it with adding the meat. And therefore I am writing down my recipe that I created.
It´s wise to start with the crepe batter since you need to refrigerate it. This was the first time in a long time that I actually used a recipe to make pancakes/crepes. For the batter you need 1 cup cold water, 1 cup cold milk, 4 eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups all purpose flour and 4 tsp previously melted butter.
Whirl all ingredients in an electric blender at high speed about 1 minute. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. This allows the flour particles to swell and soften so that your crepes will be light in texture.
4 tbsp butter
5 tbsp flour
2 3/4 cups hot milk
1/2 tsp salt
pepper and nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup coarsely grated Swiss cheese *I used marble
1 1/2 cups spinach
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup diced fresh mushrooms, previously sauteed in butter
Few slices of ham and turkey.
1. Melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook slowly for 2 minutes, remove from heat.
2. Beat in the milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Boil stirring for 1 minute, then beat in heavy cream and all but 2 tablespoons of Swiss cheese (I used marble). Simmer.
3. Blend several tablespoons of sauce into the spinach and carefully correct seasoning.
4. Now I have to mention that in another bowl beat the cottage cheese with the egg, mushrooms and several tablespoons of sauce to make it a thick paste. What I did was that I added all the previous ingredients into one bowl. So that was my mixture nr 1, instead 2 different mixtures. My mistake!
6. Because I couldn´t take out the cottage cheese, egg and mushrooms out of the spinach mixture, I decided to improvise.
7. I cut up some ham and turkey strips and added a 1 1/2 cup of cheese sauce onto them.
Now the FUN part!
Center a crepe in the bottom of a lightly buttered baking dish, spread with the cottage cheese spinach mixture. Cover with a crepe, spread it with a turkey ham mixture and cover with a crepe. Continue this way withe the rest of the crepes and mixture, ending the mound with a crepe. Pour the remaining cheese sauce over the mound and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of grated Swiss cheese. Refrigerate 40 minutes.
So delicious! It took me few hours to make but was so worth it! And so much fun to make. If you have kids ask them to help you, they will have a blast 😉
*Notes for the next time – I found spinach super tasty in there, so I would add a lot more spinach 😉 And using meat in there was the best “mistake” I made 🙂 We both enjoyed it very much!